Van Excellence - Driver Certificate of Competence
The single largest influence on road safety is the driver. Raising training standards mitigates the risks createdby non-compliant drivers. Evaluating training by assessment demonstrates that knowledge has been received and understood.
The Van Excellence Driver Certificate of Competence has been developed in conjunction with Van Excellence Accredited Operators, with two principal aims: to address work related road risk and create a learning pathway for driver development.
Who should attend?
- Van drivers – whether driving is a principal or an ancillary activity
- Supports best practice systems and procedures within an organisation
- Demonstrates a proactive approach to risk management
- Supports recruitment, retention and engagement by acknowledging the important role that van drivers play in the UK economy
- Aligns with Driver CPC syllabus – peace of mind for operators running HGV and LCV fleets
- Flexible delivery options: –– training can be split into tool box talks –– Driver CPC approved (full day option)
- Provides evidence of career path and achievements
- Portable and demonstrable knowledge
- The knowledge attained will help drivers comply with law and protect their driving licence
Tier one of the scheme focuses on subjects relevant to all van drivers. In due course, tier two will be sector specific and tier three, company specific.
Assessment areas for tier one subjects
- Fitness to Drive
- Driver Ambassador
- Pre Use Vehicle Checks
- Load Security and Overloading
- Rules of the road
- Other Road users
- Safe and green driving
- Collisions and breakdowns
Training and assessment format
Any training materials can be used to prepare delegates for the assessment. FTA produced materials are designed to be modular. This enables the full course to be split over a number of sessions or delivered in a single day. Each part is designed to be 30 minutes to one hour in duration. The assessment is 30 multiple choice questions.
Training and assessment options
There are two main options for the scheme.
1) Van Excellence Driver Certificate of Competence
- Requires application to become an approved assessment centre
- Internal staff are authorised to invigilate assessments
- In-house trainers may be used to deliver preparatory training which could include company specific content
- The application fee incorporates access to FTA training materials which align to assessment criteria
- Certification fee applicable
- FTA Train-the-Trainer and in-company training options available
- Assessments can be taken at FTA Centres or approved Assessment Centres
- Course materials and assessment papers accessed via dedicated website
Centre approval £795+VAT pa
Certification fee £19+VAT per driver
This course is also available as a train-the-trainer course and through in-company training. Please contact email@example.com for more details.
2) Training only option
- For those operators wishing to access the training content and FTA presentation materials but who do not wish to formally assess their drivers and attain the Van Excellence Driver Certificate of Competence
- In-company certificate of attendance replaces formal certification
- Subject to an annnual licence fee
- Train-the-Trainer and in-company training options available
Course materials and annual licence £2,495 pa
FTA Train-the-Trainer course*: £1,195+VAT per course
FTA in-company training: Price on application
*Maximum 6 delegates.
Booking and information
This course is also available on an in company basis. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03717 11 22 22.